Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Balancing Shakuhachi

I've been rehearsing for a new La MaMa E.T.C. show the last two weeks and things are moving fast as usual. The show is Asclepeus, the Greek God of medicine. I play his father, Apollo. The cast is more than a cast. It is the Great Jones Repertory Group, some of the most daring actors, dancers and singers I know. I'm so happy to be working with them again. Here we are in the famous Annex theater in the East Village.


Although I'm in theater heaven, I've also been feeling a little schizophrenic with the shakuhachi. When the rehearsals first started, I was swept with a wave of frenetic energy that interrupted the solitude of working with bamboo. But, I think I found a great balance this week. I've been rehearsing for the Hot Peas and Butter show at the Tribeca Film Festival's Family Outdoor Festival and teaching more than I expected. For those in NYC who may want to hear some Latin pop Bamboo soul, come by Tribeca May 2nd 4pm - Main Stage on Greenwhich and North Moore streets.

Not sure if I can slip the shakuhachi into Asclepeus, but we'll see...

No comments:

Post a Comment