Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Hocchiku Utaguchi Blowing Edge

Here is the Blowing edge of a new 2.8 Hocchiku bass shakuhachi pitched in F#. Hocchiku translates as Darma Bamboo and was coined by Watazumi, the Zen legendary Komuso Monk. I recently finished it and have been enjoying the warm, mellow and expansive vibes. I do not put anything on Hocchiku. they are completely natural. The utagcuhi edge is not sealed by any lacquer or glossy finish. It is polished with fine mill files and #0000 steel wool. This Hocchiku reacts with an "electric" buzz when I bear down on the blowing edge. I can't think of a better way to chill.:)


Hear the tuning and response of this Hocchiku. I am just noodling around with the scale and Zen Honkyoku riffs.


Namaste, Perry

Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. It'd be great to hear a sound file of this awesome flute, Perry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Erin, I posted a sound file of this Choukan! Let me know if you can not hear it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey does anyone know how to make one of these in a major scale of C
    just need the dimentions of bore sizes and length of bamboo
    thanks
    all help will be appreciated

    ReplyDelete